225g/8oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
175g/6oz Margarine (at room temperature)
175g/6oz Caster Sugar
1 teaspoon Goodall’s Coffee Essence
2 tablespoons Camp Coffee or
3 tablespoons Instant Coffee dissolved in 1 tablespoon
of boiling water, then, cooled.
225g/8oz Icing Sugar (sieved)
75g/3oz Butter or Margarine (at room temperature)
1 tablespoon Camp Coffee or
1 tablespoon Instant Coffee dissolved in 1 teaspoon of boiling water, then, cooled.
1 tablespoon milk
- Grease and base line 2 x 18cm/7” sandwich tins.
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4.
- Place all the ingredients for the cake: flour, margarine, sugar, eggs and coffee into a mixing bowl.
- Beat all ingredients together until mixture is smooth.
- Transfer to the prepared tins and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cake is baked when top is gently pressed and it springs back.
- Remove from tin and cool on a wire tray.
To make icing /filling: Beat all ingredients together until smooth. Sandwich the two cakes with half the filling spread the remaining icing on the top of the cake. Decorate with the walnuts.