125g/4oz Odlums Coarse Wholemeal
125g/4oz Odlums Cream Plain Flour
1 Level Teaspoon Shamrock Bread Soda (sieved)
3 Tablespoons Odlums Wheat Germ
125g/4oz Butter (room temperature)
125g/4oz Shamrock Demerara Sugar
125g Carton Natural Yogurt
3 Large Bananas (peeled & chopped)
2 Large Eggs
1 Teaspoon Goodall’s Almond Extract/Essence
50g/2oz Chopped Hazelnuts
25g/1oz Shamrock Demerara Sugar
25g/1oz Odlums Wheat Germ
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Lightly grease and base line a 900g/2lb loaf tin.
- Put the butter and sugar into a large mixing bowl and cream together until well combined.
- Mash the bananas and beat with the yogurt, eggs and almond essence
- Add the banana mixture to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- Finally, stir in the flours, bread soda, walnuts and wheat germ and mix well.
- Transfer to the prepared tin and smooth the top with the back of a spoon. Make the topping, if used, by mixing all the ingredients together and sprinkling over the top.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for about 50 to 60 minutes until risen and skewer or knife pressed into the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and leave to ‘set’ in tin for about 10 minutes then transfer to a wire tray to cool!