175g/6oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
1 level Teaspoon Baking Powder
125g/4oz Stork Tubbed Margarine
125g/4oz Caster Sugar
3 tablespoons Milk
Finely grated rind of 1 Lemon
25g/1oz Poppy Seeds (optional)
175g/6oz Icing Sugar (sieved)
Juice from ½ Lemon
1. Place flour, baking powder, margarine, caster sugar, eggs, milk, lemon rind and poppy seeds (if used) into a mixing bowl and beat for about 2 minutes until mixture is smooth.
- Transfer to a greased and lined roasting tin 1½”/4cm deep and approx 12″/30cm x 9″/23cm. Level the top with a spoon.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven 180°C/350°F/Gas 4 for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire tray.
- When cold, mix lemon juice and icing sugar to form a stiff icing and use to spread over top of traybake. When set cut into squares.