Ingredients:350g / 12oz Odlums Cream Plain Flour
150ml / 1/4 pt Roma Extra Virgin Olive Oil
175g/6oz Caster Sugar
2 large Eggs
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons Bread Soda
1 level teaspoon Cream of Tartar
Pinch of Salt
2 Eating Apples (peeled, cored and finely chopped)
2 Eating Apples (peeled, cored and grated)
Rind of 1 Lemon
125g / 4oz Shamrock Golden Sultanas (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Line a 20cms/8″ deep cake tin with greaseproof paper.
- Put the oil into a bowl, add the sugar and beat until well blended. Add the eggs one at a time and beat until the mixture has increased in size and looks like mayonnaise.
- Sieve the flour, cinnamon, bread soda, cream of tartar and salt together. Add the dry ingredients gradually to the oil mixture, folding them with a metal spoon. Mix thoroughly.
- Finally, add the apples, lemon rind and sultanas, if used. Mix well. The mixture will be very stiff at this stage!
- Transfer to the prepared tin and bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until cake is golden brown and well risen, or a knife gently inserted into the centre comes out dry.
- Leave in tin for 5 minutes after taking it out of the oven, then turn onto wire tray to cool.
A traditional favourite made using olive oil instead of butter