- 225g / 8oz Odlums Cream Plain Flour
- 125g / 4oz Margarine
- 1/4 pint / 150ml Cold Water (approx.)
- 4 Large Cooking Apples (peeled, cored and sliced)
- Sugar to sweeten apples
- Icing Sugar to dust (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6.
- Place margarine in freezer for about 15 minutes to harden.
- Sieve flour into a bowl.
- Grate hard margarine into the flour. You may need a little flour on your fingers for this.
- Using a knife, mix grated margarine into flour.
- Add sufficient water and mix to a soft dough with the knife.
- Turn onto a floured board and knead lightly.
- Roll out half the pastry to the size of an oven proof plate.
- Arrange apples on the pastry.
- Sprinkle with sugar to sweeten.
- Roll remaining pastry to cover the apples.
- Dampen edge of base pastry with cold water to seal.
- Press top pastry over apples to make the tart. Seal the edges by using the back of a knife to form a crust. Then cut at 1″/3cm intervals to form a scalloped edge if liked!
- Put a cut on top of pastry to allow steam to escape and bake for 35 minutes approx
Margarine may be rubbed into the flour, then chilled for 30 minutes before rolling.