Sweet Shortcrust Pastry
Ingredients250g/9oz Odlums Cream Plain Flour 50g/2oz Icing Sugar 150g/5oz Butter 2 Egg Yolks (keep whites for meringue) Cold Water (4 tablespoons approx.)
- Sieve the flour and icing sugar into a bowl. Rub in the butter.
- Add the egg yolks and sufficient water to mix to a soft dough.
- Turn onto floured board and lightly knead. Cover and store in fridge until ready to use.
Baked Alaska Mince Pies
IngredientsSweet Shortcrust Pastry (as above) 1 jar Mincemeat 2 Egg Whites Pinch of Salt 125g/4oz Caster Sugar Vanilla or homemade Ice Cream
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Roll out pastry to about 4mm thick.
- Cut out rounds to line a 12 hole deep bun tray. Put spoonfuls of mincemeat into the pastry and bake for 20 minutes until cooked through and golden.
- Allow to cool. Increase oven temperature to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6.
- For meringue: Put egg whites and a pinch of salt into a bowl and beat until stiff. Gradually beat in the sugar until thick and shiny.
- Cover each mince pie with a scoop of ice cream and top with a dollop of meringue.
- Return to hot oven until lightly brown. Serve immediately.