Fruit Soda Bread
450g/1lb Odlums Cream Flour
1 level teaspoon Shamrock Bread Soda
2 level teaspoons Bextartar
Good Pinch of Salt
1 tablespoon Sugar
50g/2oz Shamrock Sultanas, Raisins or Currents
A little over ½ pint Fresh Milk
- Sieve flour, bread soda, Bextartar and salt into a bowl. Add sugar if required.
- Rub in the margarine to resemble breadcrumbs, lifting mixture with fingertips to introduce air to the dough. Mix in the fruit.
- Add milk and mix to make a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured board and knead a little.
- Turn the smooth side up and shape into a round. Place the dough on a floured tin.
- Cut a cross over the top.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven, 400°F 200°C Gas 6 for 40-45 minutes
- When baked the underneath when “tapped” should have a hollow sound.
- Cool on a wire tray. Cover with a tea towel to give a soft crust
Bread and Butter Pudding
1 loaf Fruit Scone Round
50g/2oz butter, softened and extra for greasing
150g/5oz Caster sugar
100g Packet Shamrock Chocolate Chips
- Pre-heat oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4.
- Grease an ovenproof dish with butter.
- Slice the round into slices and butter each slice.
- Whisk the milk, sugar and eggs together in a bowl.
- Place a single layer of the bread in the dish.
- Pour 1/3 of the milk mixture on top.
- Sprinkle 1/3 of the chocolate on top.
- Repeat another layer of the bread, milk mixture and chocolate chocolate.
- Finish the top with a layer of the round bread slices.
- Pour the remaining milk mixture on top and finish with a sprinkle remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake for 50 minutes in the oven until golden brown and crunchy on top.
- Serve warm with cream.