275g/10oz Odlums Cream Plain Flour
225g/8oz Caster Sugar
4 Eggs (beaten)
100g packet Ground Almonds
Juice and Rind of 1 Orange
100g tub Mixed Peel
100g tub Cherries (halved)
1 x 375g packet Sultanas
- Preheat oven to 150°C/300°F/ Gas 2. Line a 20cms/8″ deep round cake tin with baking parchment.
- Put sugar and margarine into a large mixing bowl and cream together. Gradually add the eggs, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in the ground almonds, orange rind and juice. Add the flour and gently stir until well mixed through.
- Finally add the fruit – mixed peel, cherries and sultanas. Mix thoroughly.
- Transfer to prepared tin. Bake for about 2 1/2 hours or until nicely browned and a clean knife inserted into centre comes out clean. After an hour cover top of tin with a sheet of brown paper!
- Cool in tin. When cold wrap in greaseproof paper and store in a cool dry place.