125g/4oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
125g/4oz Odlums Coarse Wholemeal Flour
Level Teaspoon Baking Powder
Pinch of Salt
25g/1oz Caster Sugar
300ml/ 1/2 Pt Milk
50g/2oz Butter (melted)
Pinch of Cinnamon
Jam of Choice
- Sieve the self raising flour, baking powder, salt and sugar into a bowl. Add the wholemeal and mix well.
- Make a well in the centre and break in the 2 eggs. Add half the milk and beat to form a thick paste. Add the remaining milk and melted butter. Beat until batter is formed.
- Heat a small amount of sunflower oil in a heavy based frying pan. Drop tablespoons of batter on hot pan, when bubbles start to appear on surface of the crumpets turn over and fry on the other side.
- Keep crumpets warm on a plate over a pan of boiling water while making up the rest.
- Serve warm with any or all of above.
Omit the sugar and add about 50g/2oz grated cheddar cheese and some finely chopped crispy bacon. Delicious served with Batchelors Baked Beans!