Egg Sponge (see below)
Madeira Cake (see below)
3 Tablespoon Cocoa (sieved)
3 Tablespoons Dark Rum
2 tablespoons Apricot Jam
75g/3oz Icing Sugar (sieved)
1 Tablespoon Water
Melted Chocolate (for decoration)
75g/3oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
3 Eggs (separated and at room temperature)
75g/3oz Caster Sugar
Pinch of Salt
Few drops of Vanilla Essence
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Line a swiss roll tin with greaseproof paper.
- Place the three egg whites and the pinch of salt in a large, clean, dry mixing bowl. Stiffly beat until mixture is “dry looking” in appearance.
- Next, add the sugar and beat for a few seconds; then add the egg yolks and beat until mixture thickens and the trail of the beaters is visible.
- Finally, sieve in the flour and “fold” it into the thick mixture using a metal spoon.
- Fold in the vanilla essence, then, transfer to the prepared tin. Bake for about 15 minutes until risen and golden brown.
- As soon as sponge is baked, transfer to a wire tray to cool.
275g/10oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
225g/8oz Butter or Margarine (at room temperature)
225g/8oz Caster Sugar
4 Eggs (beaten)
Few drops Vanilla Essence
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°/Gas 4. Grease and base line an 20cms/8” cake tin.
- Using ‘all-in-one’ method put all ingredients into a mixing bowl and beat until smooth. Transfer to prepared tin and bake for about an hour until risen and golden brown.
- When removed from oven, leave in tin for 5 minutes then transfer to wire tray to cool.
To assemble Tipsey cake:
- Cut the egg sponge in half and spread some jam on one half.
- Break up the Madeira cake and place in a bowl. Add the cocoa, rum and apricot jam and mix well together. Place the mixture onto the jam on the sponge slice. Cover with cling film and place a weight on top and leave for a few hours. Overnight if possible! If short on time press down well.
- Remove the cling film and spread jam on the second half of egg sponge and place on top of cake.
- Make up the icing by mixing all ingredients together and colour pink. Spread over top of cake.
- Drizzle melted chocolate over icing and ‘mark’ with a knfe to give a feathered effect.