225g/8oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
1 level teaspoon Baking Powder
225g/8oz Caster Sugar
Few drops Almond Essence
150g/5oz Butter (melted)
350g/12oz Cooking Apples (peeled, cored and sliced)
25g/1oz Flaked Almonds
- Preheat oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas 5. Lightly grease and base line a 20cm/8″ deep cake tin.
- Place the flour, baking powder, caster sugar, eggs, almond essence and melted butter into a mixing bowl and mix well together.
- Spread half the mixture into the prepared tin. Place the sliced apples on top of the mixture in the tin, piling them mainly towards the centre!
- Using two tablespoons, roughly spoon the remaining mixture over the apples. Do not worry if it is a bit rough looking as it spreads during baking.
- Sprinkle with the flaked almonds and bake for about 45 minutes to an hour until brown and set.
- Serve hot with ice cream or custard. Alternatively, serve cold or warm dusted with icing sugar.