Ingredients:275g/10oz Odlums Cream Plain Flour 250g Packet Ready Made Marzipan 2 Lemons 225g/8oz Sugar 175g/6oz Butter (room temperature) 4 Eggs 1 Level Teaspoon Bread Soda (sieved) 150g Carton Natural Yogurt 25g/1oz Poppy Seeds
Icing225g/8oz Icing Sugar 4 to 6 Teaspoons lemon Juice Few drops Almond essence 1 or 2 Drops of yellow food colouring (optional) Decoration Mini Eggs
- Preheat oven to 170°C/325°F/Gas 3. Line a deep 22cms/8″ cake tin with a double layer of greaseproof paper.
- Grate the almond paste on the large hole side of a grater. Grate the lemons on the smallest holes of grater. Then squeeze the juice and reserve for the icing.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the almond paste, sugar and butter until well blended. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition.
- Stir in the lemon rind and poppy seeds. Finally, add the flour and bread soda alternately with the yogurt. Beat on low speed until just combined and smooth.
- Transfer to the prepared tin, smooth top with back of spoon. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until cake is golden brown and a knife inserted near the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Leave in tin for 10 minutes, then, turn onto a wire tray to cool completely.
- Make icing by mixing all ingredients together to form a thick paste, then spread evenly on top of cake. Arrange the eggs around the edge of icing.
- To finish: a ribbon may be placed around the cake.