50g/2oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
2 Eggs (separated)
Pinch of Salt
50g/2oz Caster Sugar
Few Drops Vanilla Extract
100ml Carton Fresh Cream (whipped)
Small Punnet Strawberries (less 4)
4 Whole Strawberries (reserved ones)
Chocolate Sprinkles (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200 °C/400 °F/Gas 6. Line a 18cms/7” square tin with greaseproof paper, base and sides.
- Put the egg whites with a pinch of salt into a clean dry bowl. Beat until stiff. Add the sugar and beat until shiny.
- Add in the egg yolks and vanilla extract and beat for a few more seconds . Mixture will be thick.
- Fold in the flour.
- Transfer to prepared tin. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until golden brown and has shrunk slightly from the sides.
- Remove from the oven and turn sponge onto wire tray, remove the lining paper. Allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, cut the strawberries into small pieces and gently fold into the whipped cream.
- When sponge in cold, cut into 4 squares. Spread some of the cream mixture on top of each square.
- Decorate the top of each with the whole strawberry. Sprinkle with the sprinkles if used.
- Delicious served the day they are baked.