Crusty White Yeast Bread
650g/1lb 7oz Odlums Strong White Flour
2 teaspoons Salt
1 teaspoon Sugar
1 x 7g Sachet Fasting Acting Yeast
450ml/16floz Warm Water (one part boiling: two parts cold)
- In a warm bowl, mix the flour, salt and sugar.
- Rub in the margarine, then, stir in the yeast.
- Add the warm water and mix to a soft dough.
- Knead by stretching and folding on a lightly floured surface for about 10 minutes. The dough hook on the electric mixer can also be used to do the kneading!
- Shape the dough and place in a greased and warmed 900g/2lb loaf tin.
- Cover loosely with a polythene bag and leave for about 30 minutes to an hour in a warm place to double in size.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven 220°C, 450°F, Gas 8 for approx 30Minutes.
- Remove from oven and turn onto a wire tray.
- If the bottom of the crust sounds hollow when tapped, the bread is baked.
French Toast with Blueberries Raspberries & Walnuts
4 Slices of Bread
2 Eggs (beaten)
4 Tablespoons Milk
1 Tablespoon Caster Sugar
Butter for frying
Punnet of Blueberries & Raspberries
50g/2oz Shamrock Walnuts (roughly chopped)
- Beat the eggs, milk and sugar well in a bowl, then transfer to a large shallow dish (so you can easily dip in a slice of bread)
- Dip each side of bread in the batter and allow to soak for a few seconds.
- Heat a knob of butter in a pan over a medium heat. Fry both sides of the bread until golden brown.
- Put 2 slices of hot toast on a plate, cover with sliced banana, drizzle with maple syrup or honey and sprinkle with the walnuts.
- If serving a large number keep the toast warm in a preheated oven 130°C/250°F/Gas ½!
The toast can be used for both sweet and savoury recipes! If savoury, omit the sugar and add a pinch of salt and pepper.
This is a great way to use up stale bread!!