450g/1lb Odlums Coarse Wholemeal Flour
2 level tsp Odlums Bread Soda
25g/1oz Odlums Pinhead Porridge Oats
4 tablespoons Shamrock Demerara Sugar
80g packet Shamrock Chopped Walnuts (optional)
1 tbsp Treacle
400ml Guinness or Stout
- Preheat oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas 5. Lightly grease a 2lb loaf tin.
- Put butter and treacle into a saucepan over a low heat and allow the butter to melt.
- Meanwhile, put the wholemeal, pinhead oats, sugar and chopped walnuts into a bowl. Sieve in the bread soda and mix well.
- When the butter has melted, add the Guinness or stout and stir.
- Add the liquid to the dry ingredients and mix well. Transfer mixture to prepared tin and bake for about 40 to 50 minutes until risen and when tapped underneath has a hollow sound..
- Wrap in a clean tea towel and allow to cool.
A dark brown bread with a distinctive taste.
For best slicing, allow one day before cutting.