225g/8oz Odlums Cream Plain Flour
125g/4oz Butter (room temperature)
75g/3oz Caster Sugar
Egg wash (beaten egg)
125g/4oz Caster sugar
100g Packet Shamrock Ground Almonds
Rind of 2 Lemons
Juice of 1 Lemon
170ml Carton Fresh Cream
- Preheat oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas 5. Lightly grease a flan dish 23cms/9”.
- Make the base: Beat together the butter and sugar until creamy. Add the egg and beat in also. Finally, stir in the flour and mix to a soft dough. Cover and place in the ‘fridge’ to chill about 30 minutes.
- Roll out pastry on a floured surface and use to line the prepared dish. Prick well with a fork. Cover with greaseproof paper or tin foil and place some rice or ‘beans’ on top to keep pastry from rising during baking.
- Remove from oven after 20 minutes and remove the paper. Reduce oven temperature to 140°F/275°F/Gas 1. Brush pastry case with some egg wash while hot.
- Next, beat the eggs, sugar, ground almonds and cream. Then stir in the lemon rind and juice.
- Pour into pastry case and bake for about 40 minutes until golden and firm to the touch. Cool.
- Dust with icing sugar.