Ingredients:75g/3oz Odlums Self Raising Flour 175g/6oz Shamrock Light Brown Sugar 175g/6oz Margarine 3 Eggs (lightly beaten) 1 teaspoon Mixed Spice 500g packet Shamrock Luxury Fruit Mix 1 Apple (grated) 100g packet Shamrock Ground Almonds 175g/6oz Breadcrumbs 1 bottle Stout (1/2 pint)
- Cream margarine and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the lightly beaten eggs and mix well.
- Stir in the sieved flour and mixed spice.
- Next add the fruit mix, grated apple and ground almonds. Mix well.
- Finally, add the breadcrumbs and bottle of stout.
- Stir well, cover and leave to stand overnight. Transfer to a 3 pint greased pudding bowl. Steam for 5 hours.
To steam pudding in oven:
- Put two long strips of tin foil crosswise on work top or table. Place roasting tin on foil. Sit pudding bowl into the tin and fill with boiling water to within 1″ of top of tin. Then bring tin foil around to form a parcel, which should be airtight to prevent any steam escaping.
- Place in preheated oven at 150°C/300°F/Gas 2 for the same length of time as above. There is no need to top up with water during cooking.
The quantities may be doubled if more than one pudding is required.