Sauce25g / 1oz Odlums Cream Plain Flour
25g / 1oz Butter
Salt & Pepper
450ml / 3/4pt Milk
50g / 2oz Grated Cheddar Cheese
1 teaspoon Mustard
Pinch Nutmeg (optional)
125g / 4oz Cooked Ham - diced (optional)
Topping125g/4oz Grated Cheddar Cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C, 400°F, Gas Mark 6. Lightly grease ovenproof dish.
- Cook the Macaroni as per packet instructions.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. Place the butter, salt and pepper into a saucepan over a low heat and allow to melt.
- Increase the temperature and add the flour. Stir over the heat for a for minutes to cook the flour!
- Gradually whisk in the milk and continue to whisk until sauce thickens and comes to the boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cheese, mustard, nutmeg and ham, if used.
- Pour sauce onto drained macaroni and transfer to prepared dish. Sprinkle over the cheese for topping and place in oven for 20 minutes approx. until the top is crisp and golden.
- Serve hot with salad or green vegetables.