|-||18cm / 7"||23cm / 9"|
|Round Tin||15cm / 6"||20cm / 8"||25cm / 10"|
|Odlums Self Raising Flour||175g / 6oz||350g / 12oz||575g / 1lb 4oz|
|Caster Sugar||125g / 4oz||275g / 10oz||500g / 1lb 2oz|
|Soft Margarine||125g / 4oz||275g / 10oz||500g / 1lb 2oz|
|Milk||15ml / 1 tbl||45ml / 3 tbl||60ml / 4tbl|
|Baking time (approx.)||1 - 1 1/2 hrs||1 1/2 - 1 3/4 hrs||2 - 2 1/4hrs|
- Line deep cake tin with a double layer of greaseproof paper.
- Pre-heat oven to 150°C / 300°C / Gas 2.
- Sieve the flour into a bowl and add all the other ingredients.
- Gently beat all the ingredients together, using a low setting on the mixer.
- When ingredients are combined, increase speed and beat for one minute.
- Spoon mixture into the prepared baking tin and smooth the top.
- Cook in the centre of the oven for specified time, as above. Test the cake by lightly pressing the centre. If baked, it should spring back and the top should be golden brown. To be extra sure, insert a skewer or knife and if it comes out clean, the cake is cooked.
- Leave in tin for about 15 minutes, then turn onto a wire tray to cool.
- When completely cold, wrap in greaseproof paper and store in a cool, dry place.
- Add the rind of a lemon or an orange for a citrus flavour.
- For almond flavour, add a teaspoon of almond essence; for vanilla flavour, add a teaspoon of vanilla essence.
- Add 50g/2oz desiccated coconut.
This cake is really quick and easy to make and produces a cake that is firm and yet has a moist texture. Ideal for slicing!