175g / 6oz Odlums Self Raising Flour (sieved)
175g / 6oz Sugar
150g / 5oz soft Margarine
Rind of Lemon
150ml / 1/4 pint Milk
Pinch of Salt
For Lemon Syrup
150g / 5oz Icing Sugar
Juice of 1 Lemon
- Pre heat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Grease and base line a 900g/2lb loaf tin.
- Put the eggs and sugar into a food processor and process for about a minute and a half, scraping down the sides if necessary.
- Remove the lid and drop spoonfuls of the soft margarine onto the mixture along with the lemon rind and process again until margarine disappears (about a minute). The mixture now looks like mayonnaise!
- Finally, add the flour, milk and salt and give another “buzz” until mixture is smooth.
- Transfer to the prepared tin and bake for about 45 minutes until golden brown and firm to the touch. Remove from oven and place tin on a wire tray.
- Meanwhile, gently heat the icing sugar and lemon juice in a small saucepan stirring until a clear syrup is formed. Do not boil.
- Prick the warm cake with a fork, then gently pour the syrup over it, until it has been completely absorbed.
Best eaten fresh but will keep in an airtight container in a fridge for a week and will freeze for up to 3 months.