Ingredients:225g/8oz Odlums Cream Plain Flour
125g/4oz Shamrock Dark Muscavado Sugar
3 to 4 level teaspoons full ground ginger
1/2 level teaspoon bread soda
125g/4oz/4 level tablespoons golden syrup
125g/4oz/4 level tablespoons of treacle
1/4 pint of milk
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4.
- Line a deep 8″/20cm round or 7″/20cm deep square tin with greaseproof paper.
- Dissolve the bread soda with 1 tablespoon of the milk in a small bowl.
- Melt the margarine with the sugar, syrup, treacle and remaining milk in a saucepan over a low heat stirring all the time (do not allow to become too hot).
- Remove from the heat and cool to luke warm.
- Add this to dry ingredients in a mixing bowl with the beaten egg, mix together and beat until smooth.
- Finally mix in the dissolved bread soda, pour into the prepared cake tin and bake in a pre-heated oven for 50-60 minutes.
- Leave in the tin for 30 minutes. Turn out, remove the paper and cool on a wire tray. Store in an airtight tin. It improves if left for 2-3 days before cutting.
- Cut into squares.