Ingredients:450g/1lb Blackberries (hulled and cleaned)
450g/1lb Eating Apples (peeled, cored and thickly sliced)
Rind of 1 Lemon
1 tablespoon Sugar
Scone Topping225g/8oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
Pinch of Mixed Spice
50g/2oz Butter or Margarine (room temperature)
2 tablespoons Sugar
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Lightly grease an ovenproof dish.
- Put the blackberries, apples, lemon rind and sugar into a saucepan over a low heat and simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until fruit is tender.
- Meanwhile, sieve the flour and mixed spice into a bowl. Rub in the butter or margarine until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar.
- Add sufficient milk to mix to a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface and roll out to about 1cm/1/4″ thickness. Using a 5cms/21/2″ cutter, cut out about 12 rounds.
- Spoon the fruit into the ovenproof dish. Overlap the scones around the outside of the dish. Brush scones with a little milk, if liked.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until scones have risen and are golden brown.
- Serve hot.
Using up the last of the summer fruit for a deliciously fruity dessert.