175g / 6oz Odlums Cream Flour
125g / 4oz Brown Sugar
125g / 4oz Odlums Porridge Oatflakes
125g / 4oz Margarine
6-8 Stalks of Rhubarb, cleaned and chopped
4 tablespoons Sugar
4 tablespoons Water
Custard Cream to Serve
425g / 3/4pt Ready to Serve Custard
150ml / 1/4pt Cream
- Preheat oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas5. Lightly grease an ovenproof pie dish, pyrex bowl or casserole dish.
- Put the rhubarb, sugar and water into a saucepan and simmer for about 10 minutes until rhubarb breaks down and softens.
- Meanwhile, make the crumble by putting the flour, brown sugar and oatflakes into a bowl. Add the margarine and rub into the dry ingredients.
- Transfer the stewed rhubarb to the greased dish, spread the crumble mixture over this and bake for about 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve with the custard.
To make custard
- Whip the cream and gently fold/stir into the custard.
An Alternative Dessert Idea: Layer the stewed rhubarb and custard cream up in a tall glass.
Tip: If liked a level teaspoon of ground ginger may be added to the rhubarb when stewing.