IngredientsPizza Dough 450g/1lb Odlums Strong White Flour 1 Teaspoon Granulated Sugar Good Pinch of Salt 1 Sachet (7g) Fast Acting Yeast 300ml/_pt Warm Water (1 part boiling to 2 parts cold) 1 Tablespoon Olive or Vegetable Oil Shamrock Semolina for dusting if liked Tomato Sauce 2 Tablespoons of oil 1 Tin Roma Chopped Tomatoes (400g) 1 Finely Chopped Onion (optional) 1 Clove of Garlic (crushed) 1 Teaspoon Fresh Herbs (Basil, Thyme, Parsley etc) or 1/2 Teaspoon Dried Mixed Herbs Suggested Toppings To your choice: Cheese (Mozzarella and Grated Cheddar) or Low Low for healthy option Slices of pepperoni or chorizo Shredded Cooked Chicken Sliced Ham Peppers Mushrooms Olives & Anchovies
- Make the dough by putting the flour, sugar, salt and yeast into a large bowl. Add the oil to the warm water and pour into the dry ingredients. Mix together to form a dough.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead for about 7 to 10 minutes, until dough is smooth and elastic. This can be done in half the time by using dough hooks in an electric mixer. Return to bowl cover loosely with a tea towel. Leave in a warmish place to ‘prove’ until doubled in size. About 45 minutes to an hour.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce: heat the oil in a pan, add the onions (if used) and gently fry until soft. Add the tomatoes, garlic and herbs and bring to the boil. For a smooth sauce this may be ‘buzzed’ in a processor! Sauce should thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. If it needs thickening, bring it to the boil and reduce to thicken, this may take a few minutes! Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6.
- When dough is ‘ready’ dust a board with semolina if used, or flour and roll out to a round, size depends on the thickness and the number of pizza you wish to make!
- Place pizzas on baking trays or baking stone. Spread with a little of the tomato sauce, then the cheese and the toppings of your choice.
- Bake for about 10 to 15 minutes depending on the thickness of the pizza, until the pizza is golden underneath and the topping is bubbling on top.