175g/6oz Odlums Coarse Wholemeal
175g/6oz Odlums Cream Plain Flour
1 level teaspoon Bread Soda
Pinch of Salt
1 tablespoon Brown Sugar
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Lightly dust a flat baking sheet or swiss roll tin with some flour.
- Put the wholemeal into a large mixing bowl. Sieve the cream flour, salt and bread soda into the bowl. Mix the ingredients well together with fingers, raising the hands as you do to introduce as much air as possible!
- Next, rub in the margarine; then mix in the sugar.
- At this stage, put the lightly dusted tin into the oven to preheat.
- Finally, stir in sufficient buttermilk to make a soft dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead for a few seconds. Cut out scones.
- Put the scones on the preheated tin and bake for about 15 mins. or until risen and a golden brown.
- Cool on a wire tray.
- Scones can be served with cheese or thin slices of smoked salmon and wedges of lemon.
- For an alternative flavour, add 1/2 teaspoon of flaked chilli to the dry ingredients.
- Another alternative would be to add a pinch of mustard and a tablespoon of grated Parmesan cheese to the dry ingredients.
- Scones may be brushed with a little milk or egg before baking, if liked.