75g/3oz Odlums Cream Plain Flour
350g/12oz Bread (day old, with crusts removed)
1 Level Teaspoon Baking Powder
225g/8oz Shamrock Dark Muscovado
50g/2oz Butter or Margarine
2 Dessertspoons Mixed Spice
225g/8oz Shamrock Raisins
1 Large Egg (beaten)
150ml/¼ pt Milk
Rind of 1 Lemon
Shortcrust pastry (below)
- Preheat oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas 5.Grease a small roasting tin or a tin 10” x 12” x 2”.
- Cover the bread with cold water and allow to stand while making the filling and the pastry.
- Make the pastry (below) and cover, leave in the ‘fridge.
- Put the flour and baking powder into a bowl, add the sugar and rub in the margarine or butter. Mix in the mixed spice.
- Squeeze the bread dry of the water and place in a bowl, mix in the fruit. Add to the flour mixture and beat.
- Add the beaten egg and milk and stir, then add the lemon rind. Leave aside.
- Divide the pastry in half. Roll out one half to fit the baking tin. Transfer the bread/fruit mixture evenly over this.
- Cover with the other half of the pastry. Prick through top pastry with a fork or knife.
- Bake for about an hour. Leave in tin to cool. Cut in squares and sprinkle with icing sugar if liked.
350g/12oz Odlums Cream Plain Flour
Pinch of salt
- Put flour and salt into a bowl, coarsely rub in the margarine.
- Add sufficient water to make a soft dough. Lightly knead.
- Pastry is best chilled before rolling.