Irish Farmhouse Brown Bread
350g/12 oz Odlums Extra Coarse Wholemeal
125g/4oz Odlums Cream Flour
275-425 ml/½ -3/4 pint Buttermilk or Sour Milk
¼ teaspoon Salt
15g/½oz Odlums Wheatgerm
1 teaspoon Odlums Bread Soda
25g/1oz Odlums Bran
- Sieve Cream flour, salt and bread soda into a bowl.
- Mix in the wholemeal, wheatgerm and bran. Add enough milk to make a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured board.
- Knead until the mixture comes together smoothly.
- Place dough on a floured baking sheet. Cut a cross over the top.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400°F, 200°C, Gas 6 for 40 – 45 minutes approximately.
- When baked, the bread will have a hollow sound if tapped on the base.
- Cool on a wire tray. A tea towel wrapped over the bread at this stage will give a softer crust.
Ploughmans Sandwich with Red Onion Relish
Slices of Traditional Brown Bread (buttered)
Slice of Ham
Slice of Cheddar Cheese
Topped with Red Onion Marmalade.
RED ONION RELISH INGREDIENTS
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
4 medium Red Onions (peeled and thinly sliced.)
125g/4oz Shamrock Brown Sugar
Pinch of Chilli Flakes
1 Teaspoon Honey
3 Tablespoons Red Wine
3 Tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
- In a large pot place the onions and the oil over a medium heat.
- Continue to stir the contents to move the onions around to prevent them from sticking.
- As the onions begin to colour and soften (after about 3 minutes) add in the brown sugar and continue to stir.
- The sugar will begin to soften and will coat all of the onions.
- Allow the softened sugar to come to the boil gently.
- Next add in the chilli, honey, red wine and red wine vinegar.
- Allow the mixture to come to the boil and then simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until all of the liquid has evaporated.
- Make sure that you stir it occasionally to prevent anything sticking to the base of the pot.
- Transfer to clean sterilised jars and store in the fridge for up to 4 weeks.