Rind of 1 Lemon
2 Large Eggs (separated)
2 Tablespoons Raspberry Jam
The Egg Whites
Pinch of Salt
125g/4oz Caster Sugar
- Preheat oven to 150°C/300°F/Gas 3. Grease a casserole or Pyrex dish.
- Put the milk, butter, sugar, and lemon rind into a saucepan and gently heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar is dissolved. Allow to cool.
- Beat the egg yolks and pour the heated milk onto them. Put the breadcrumbs into the prepared dish and pour over the liquid.
- Bake for about 30 to 40 minutes until mixture is ‘set’ and golden in colour. Remove from oven.
- Meanwhile, beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until dry looking in appearance. Add the caster sugar and beat until shiney.
- Spread the jam over the base then pile on the meringue, return to the oven until ‘set’ and golden brown.
- Serve while hot.