225g/8oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
125g/4oz Margarine or Butter
75g/3oz Caster Sugar
125g/4oz Mixed Dried Fruit (to include candied peel)
1 Egg (beaten)
2 tablespoons of Milk
Granulated Sugar for topping
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Lightly grease a baking tray.
- Sieve flour into a bowl and add the margarine or butter. Rub into the flour until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the sugar and dried fruit and mix well.
- Finally, add the egg and milk and mix thoroughly to give a stiff dough.
- Using two forks, lift up small portions of the mixture and place on the baking sheet about an inch and a half apart. The buns should be rough looking, do not smooth them down.
Shake a little sugar on top of each bun and place in the pre heated oven for 10 to15 minutes until golden brown. Leave on tin for about five minutes, then transfer to a wire tray to cool.