Ingredients:450g / 1lb Odlums Cream Plain Flour Pinch of Sal 1 level teaspoon Baking Powder 1 level teaspoon Mixed Spice 225g / 8oz Sugar 225g / 8oz Butter 375g Packet of Sultanas 100g Carton Candied Peel 300ml / 1/4 pint Guinness (Porter) 2 Eggs (beaten)
- Preheat oven 180°C/350°F/Gas 4.
- Line a 20cm/8″ round cake tin with greaseproof paper.
- Sieve the flour, salt, baking powder and mixed spice into a bowl and add the sugar.
- Rub in the butter and add the fruit and mix.
- Add the porter to the beaten eggs and add to fruit mixture.
- Mix well.
- Transfer to the prepared tin and bake for approximately 2 hours.
- Place on a low shelf position in the oven.
Check cake after an hour and if it is browning too quickly, cover with a double layer of greaseproof paper until baked.
Cake can also be baked in a 23cms/9″ cake tin and will bake a lot quicker! About 1 1/2 hours.