225g/8oz Odlums Cream Plain Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
Salt & Pepper
50g/2oz Margarine (at room temperature)
75g/3oz Grated Cheddar Cheese
75g/3oz Cooked Ham (chopped)
150ml/¼ pint Milk
1 teaspoon Wholegrain Mustard
A little Milk for brushing
Wedges of Tomato to garnish.
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Lightly grease a flat baking sheet or baking tray.
- Sieve flour, baking powder, salt and pepper into a mixing bowl. Rub in the margarine.
- Add the cheese (keeping back about a tablespoonful for decorating!) and ham and mix well.
- In a small bowl beat the milk, egg and mustard. Add to the dry ingredients and stir to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured board and gently knead. Shape into a roll about 20cm/8” in length.
- Make 8 cuts about 1”/3cm apart along one side of the roll. Place on the baking sheet and curve the roll so that the cuts made splay out!
- Lightly brush with milk and sprinkle over the reserved cheese.
- Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes until cheese on top is melted and golden brown in colour.
- Cool on a wire tray. Garnish by placing the tomato wedges into the “splays” on the loaf.
- Serve with soup or cheese.