225g/8oz Odlums Cream Plain Flour
175g/6oz Butter (at room temperature)
175g/6oz Shamrock Light Muscovado Brown Sugar
½ teaspoon Goodall’s Mixed Spice
½ teaspoon Goodall’s Nutmeg
4 large Eggs
350g packet Shamrock Luxury Fruit Mix
350g packet Shamrock Fruit Mix
100g packet Shamrock Chopped Almonds
100g packet Shamrock Ground Almonds
Rind of 1 Lemon
Rind of 1 Orange
2 tablespoons Whiskey
- Preheat oven to 120°C/250°F/Gas ½ .Line a 20cm/8” round or 18cm/7” square deep cake tin with a double layer of baking parchment.
- Cream butter and sugar together in a large mixing bowl. Beat in the eggs with a few spoonfuls of the flour. Sieve in the remaining flour and the spices. Mix well.
- Finally, stir in the fruit mixes, chopped nuts and ground almonds, lemon rind, orange rind and whiskey. Make sure ingredients are well combined.
- Transfer to prepared tin. Level off top with back of the spoon. Bake for about 3 ½ to 4 hours but check at regular intervals after 2 ½ hours!
- When baked (a knife inserted into cake should come out clean, no dough attached to it) remove from oven and allow to cool in tin.
- When cold, remove from tin and wrap in greaseproof paper, then tin foil. Store in a cool dry place until ready for decorating.
Note: Ovens vary a lot nowadays so above temperature and times are just a guideline. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions and guidelines.