450g/1lb Odlums Cream (Plain) Flour
1 level teaspoon Bread Soda
2 level teaspoons Bextartar
Good pinch of Salt
1 tablespoon Sugar (optional)
A little over 1/2 pint Fresh Milk
- Sieve flour, bread soda, Bextartar and salt into a bowl. Add sugar if required.
- Rub in the margarine to resemble breadcrumbs, lifting mixture with fingertips to introduce air to the dough.
- Add milk and mix to make a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured board and knead a little.
- Turn the smooth side up and shape into a round. Place the dough on a floured tin.
- Cut a cross over the top.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven, 400°F/200°C/Gas 6 for 40-45 minutes.
- When baked the underneath when “tapped” should have a hollow sound.
- Cool on a wire tray. Cover with a tea towel to give a soft crust.
A hand full of raisins may be added to the dry ingredients before adding the milk; this will give a nice Station Bread!