Ingredients:250g / 9oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
1 Level Teaspoon Baking Powder
50g / 2oz Margarine
125g / 4oz Smoked Salmon (finely chopped)
2 Spring Onions / Scallions (finely chopped)
Rind of 1/2 a Lemon
150ml / 1/4pt Milk
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Dust a flat baking sheet/tray with some flour.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl. Rub in the margarine.
- Add the smoked salmon, onions and lemon rind and gently mix through the dry ingredients.
- Beat the egg and milk together and mix in with the other ingredients to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured board and lightly knead, then roll out to a thickness of 2cms/1″. Cut into rounds of 8cms/3″. This amount will give about 6 scones.
- Place on the baking tray, if liked the tops of the scones can be brushed with a little milk. Bake for about 15 minutes until risen and golden brown. Cool on a wire tray.
- The scones can be served just plain with butter, or served with soup or smoked salmon also scones can be split and toasted and topped with a poached egg.
To poach eggs:
- Heat water in a frying pan or saucepan, add a few drops of vinegar, when the water is just simmering (not boiling) crack in the eggs. Allow the water to come back to simmering point, then remove from the heat and allow to sit in the water for about 5 minutes until eggs are translucent and nicely cooked. Lift each out of the water with a perforated spoon to allow the water to drain then serve on the toasted and buttered scone