250g/9oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
1 Level Teaspoon Baking Powder
125g/4oz Smoked Salmon (finely chopped)
2 Spring Onions/Scallions (finely chopped)
Rind of ½ a Lemon
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Dust a flat baking sheet/tray with some flour.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl. Rub in the margarine.
- Add the smoked salmon, onions and lemon rind and gently mix through the dry ingredients.
- Beat the egg and milk together and mix in with the other ingredients to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured board and lightly knead, then roll out to a thickness of 2cms/1”. Cut into rounds of 8cms/3”. This amount will give about 6 scones.
- Place on the baking tray, if liked the tops of the scones can be brushed with a little milk. Bake for about 15 minutes until risen and golden brown. Cool on a wire tray.
- The scones can be served just plain with butter, or served with soup or smoked salmon also scones can be split and toasted and topped with a poached egg.
Perfect Scrambled Eggs:
For soft and creamy scrambled eggs the eggs must be fresh!
4 Fresh Eggs
2 Tablespoons Milk
A knob of butter
Salt & Pepper
Crack the eggs into a bowl, add the milk, salt and pepper. Beat until the yolks and whites are ‘just’ mixed. Put the butter into a cold pan over a low heat, pour in the eggs and stir continuously until the eggs have scrambled into a soft creamy mixture.
Serve immediately on hot plates with toasted smoked salmon scones!