Ingredients:1 tbsp Odlums Cream Plain Flour
1 kg/2 lbs lean good quality Stewing Steak, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 large Onion, chopped finely
175/6oz Mushrooms, quartered
500ml can Stout
1 Beef Stock Cube
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon Mustard
1 teaspoon Dried Mixed Herbs
Salt and Pepper
Crust225g/8oz Odlums Cream Plain Flour
Good pinch Salt
2 tablespoons Water
1 Egg (beaten)
- Shake the meat in a bag containing the flour. Using a large pot, brown the meat well in batches in olive oil and set aside.
- Add the onions to the pot used to brown the meat and allow to soften gently.
- Add the stew back into the pot with the onion, followed by the stout, stock cube, mixed herbs, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and mushrooms.
- Bring the ingredients up to the boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Simmer the stew for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until the meat is very tender and the sauce has reached the desired consistency.
- Pre-heat the oven to 190°C.
- Meanwhile make the crust or pastry by melting the margarine, salt and water in a saucepan, then, bring to the boil. Place the flour in a bowl add the boiled margarine and the egg and mix well to form a dough.
- Turn onto a well floured board and knead. Roll out large enough to cover the stew in the pie dish.
- Pour the meat into a large pie dish, cover with the pastry and brush with milk.
- Bake the pie in the oven for 15-20 minutes until the pastry is golden and crisp.