3 Tablespoons Oil
675g / 1 1/2 lbs Stewing Beef (trimmed and cut into cubes)
600ml / 1 1/2 pt Cold Water
1 Beef Stock Cube
2 Onions (sliced)
2 Carrots (sliced)
1/2 Turnip (thickly chopped)
1 Packet Oxtail Soup or 4 Teaspoons Gravy Granules
1 Packet Odlums Brown Quick Scones
1 Teaspoon Mixed Herbs
- Preheat the oven to 140°C/275°F/Gas 1. Heat the oil in a large pan or casserole dish. Fry off the meat until sealed.
- Add the cold water, stock cube and the prepared vegetables. Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer to the oven for about 1 1/2 hours. After an hour dissolve the soup or gravy in 150ml / 1/4 pt of cold water and stir into the stew.
- Twenty minutes before serving make up the Quick Scone mixture following pack direction but add the mixed herbs to the milk before adding the mix.
- Roll dough out to 1/2″ / 1cm in thickness and cut out the scones. Remove casserole from oven and increase temperature to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6.
- Arrange the scones around the edge of the dish and return to the oven for 20 minutes until risen and golden brown.
- Serve hot.