125g/4oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
50g/2oz Butter (diced)
25g/1oz Icing Sugar
1 Egg Yolk
Few Tablespoons Cold Water
900g/2lbs Eating Apples (peeled & cored)
Rind & Juice of 1 Lemon
75g/3oz Shamrock Demerara Sugar
- Preheat oven to 200° C/400° F/Gas 6. Lightly grease and base line a 23cms/9” sandwich tin.
- Put the flour, icing sugar and butter into a bowl. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg yolk and sufficient water (about 3 tablespoons) to mix to a stiff dough. Lightly knead and cover with cling film and leave in the fridge.
- Meanwhile, slice the apple sand sprinkle with the lemon juice and rind.
- Put the butter and sugar into a small saucepan and place over a low heat until butter is melted and sugar dissolved.
- Pour over the base of the tin. Arrange the apple in a circular pattern over the sauce.
- Roll out the pastry and place over the apples. Gently press down. Bake in centre of oven for about 20 minutes until pastry is crisp and golden brown.
- Allow to stand for about 5 minutes then, turn the tart out onto a plate, with the pastry on the bottom.
- Serve warm with cream, crème fraiche or yogurt!