225g/8oz Odlums Cream Plain Flour
4 Tablespoons Cold Water (approx)
1 Medium Onion (peeled & finely chopped)
2 Tablespoons Tomato Ketchup (optional)
1 Tablespoon Chopped Parsley
Pinch of Mixed Herbs
Beaten Egg or Milk
- Preheat oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas5. Lightly dust a flat baking sheet with flour.
- Make pastry by rubbing the margarine into the flour. Add sufficient water to mix to a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth. Wrap in cling film and allow to ‘rest’ while making the filling.
- Make the filling by mixing all the ingredients, less the relish, together. Transfer to a floured surface and shape into a sausage like roll.
- Roll out the pastry into a 30cms/12” square. Place on the prepared tin. Put a spreading of the relish over the pastry. Next, put the filling down the centre of the pastry leaving about 10cms/4” either side.
- Cut diagonal 2½cms/4”each side of the filling. Take each strip separately and plait across the filling alternating each side.
- Tuck in the ends to neaten! Brush with beaten egg or milk and bake for 30 to 40 minutes until golden brown.