Ingredients:175g/6oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
400g/ 1lb tin Pear Halves (drained)
50g/2oz finely chopped Stem Ginger (or crystallized ginger)
175g / 6oz Light Brown Sugar
175g / 6oz Butter or Margarine (softened)
3 Eggs (lightly beaten)
1 teaspoon Ground Ginger
Extra Ground Ginger for tin
1 tablespoon Brown Sugar (for base of tin)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas 4. Grease a deep 20 cm / 8 inch round cake tin, line the base with greaseproof paper and liberally grease the paper. Spread the tablespoon of sugar on this, then dust with ground ginger.
- Fill the hollow in each pear half with the chopped ginger. Arrange the pear halves, flat side down, over the base of the cake tin.
- Put flour, sugar, butter or margarine, eggs and ground ginger into a mixing bowl and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Carefully spoon the mixture into the tin and smooth the surface.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for about 50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean. Leave the cake to cool in the tin for about 5 minutes. Turn out on to a serving dish, peel off the lining paper and leave to cool completely.
- Serve with cream, ice cream or crème fraiche.