150g /5oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
25g/1oz Cocoa (sieved)
125g /4 oz Margarine (at room temperature)
125g /4 oz Caster Sugar
170ml Carton of Cream
2 x 100g Bars of good quality Plain Chocolate
Red Roses or Fresh Strawberries dipped in chocolate.
- Preheat oven to 170°/325°F/Gas 3. Base line 2 x 18cm/7” sandwich tins.
- Put flour, cocoa, margarine, sugar and eggs into a mixing bowl and beat until smooth.
- Transfer to prepared tins and bake for approx. 25 minutes.
- Cool cakes in tins for about 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire tray to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, place chocolate and cream in a bowl over a pan of simmering water and allow chocolate to melt, stirring occasionally. When melted, remove from the heat and stir well. Allow to cool and begin to “set”.
- Sandwich the cakes with about a third of the topping and pour remainder over the assembled cake.
- Decorate top with red roses or Strawberries