275g/10oz Odlums Coarse Wholemeal
175g/6oz Odlums Cream Plain Flour
1 Teaspoon Shamrock Bread Soda
Pinch of Salt
1 Tablespoon of Shamrock Brown Sugar
125g/4oz Butter (room temperature)
1 Teaspoon Treacle (optional)
Beaten egg or milk for glazing if liked!
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Dust a flat baking tray with flour.
- Sieve the plain flour, bread soda and salt into a bowl. Add the wholemeal flour and sugar. Mix well.
- Rub in the butter until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add stout and treacle if used and mix to a soft dough. Place tin into oven to heat.
- Meanwhile, turn dough onto floured surface and gently knead. Press out to about an inch in thickness and cut into scones. Brush on glaze if used. Place on heated tin and bake for 20 minutes until risen and brown on top.
5 Rooster potatoes (average size) Peeled and diced
1 Onion peeled and diced
Salt and pepper
1.2Lt/2pints Vegetable Stock
Fresh Milk to thin soup
Freshly chopped parsley to serve
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan, add the potatoes and onions. Shake over some salt and pepper. Mix well. Cover and allow to ‘sweat’ or cook without browning, on a low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Add the stock and bring to boil. Then reduce to a ‘simmer’ and continue to cook until vegetables are soft.
- Puree the soup in a blender or food processor. Adjust the seasoning if required. Return to the saucepan. Thin with the milk to required consistency. Bring back to the boil and serve with lots of chopped parsley on top!
- Delicious with the Guinness Scones.