- 125g/4oz Odlums Cream Plain Flour
- 50g/2oz Margarine or Butter
- Pinch of Salt
- Cold Water
- 175g/6oz Odlums Porridge Oatflakes
- 125g/4oz Margarine
- 125g/4oz Caster Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 /2 teaspoon Almond Essence
- Jam (preferably Apricot)
- Prepare the pastry by sifting the flour and salt into a bowl. As always, have everything cold.
- Rub in the margarine until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the water gradually, mixing to a stiff paste with a knife.
- Allow the pastry to rest until the oatmeal mixture is prepared.
- For the topping, melt the margarine in a saucepan.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the sugar, egg and almond essence.
- Add the oatmeal and mix well.
- Grease a swiss roll tin and line it with a thin layer of pastry.
- Spread on a thin layer of jam and then spread the oatmeal mixture evenly on top of this.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 220°C/425°F/Gas 6-7 for 20 – 30 minutes approx. until lightly browned.
- Cut into slices or squares while still hot. Allow to cool on a wire tray.