50g/2oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
50g/2oz Shamrock Caster Sugar
Pinch of Salt
1 litre block Ice Cream
2 Egg Whites
75g/3oz Shamrock Caster Sugar
1 teaspoon Granulated Sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C/400°C/Gas 6. Lightly grease a 20 – 23cm (8”or 9”) sandwich tin.
- Make sponge base by beating the eggs, sugar and pinch of salt and the 2 egg yolks (left over from Meringue Topping) until thick and creamy.
- Fold in the flour using a metal spoon.
- Transfer to prepared tin and bake for approx. 10 minutes until well risen and golden brown. Cool on a wire tray.
- When cold, place sponge on ovenproof dish.
- Make meringue by beating egg whites and caster sugar together until thick and shiny.
- Place ice cream on centre of sponge, swirl the meringue topping over the ice cream making sure it is well sealed.
- Shake granulated sugar over the meringue and place in a hot oven for 3 minutes or until meringue is golden brown.
- Serve immediately with fresh fruit.