- 150g/5oz Odlums Cream Flour
- 200g/7oz plain chocolate
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 200g/7oz margarine cut into pieces
- 200g/7oz caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
Filling & Decoration
- 300ml/ 1/2 pint whipped cream
- 50g/2oz icing sugar
- 1 large tin black cherries (strained)
- 125g/4oz grated plain chocolate or curls
- 125g/4oz sugar
- 225ml/8fl oz water
- 125ml/4fl oz kirsch
- You will need three 7" sandwich tins. The base of each should be lined with greased greaseproof paper.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C/Gas 6.
- Place the chocolate and milk in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir continuously until the chocolate has melted. Remove the bowl from the heat and beat in the margarine, then the caster sugar. Beat in for 3-4 minutes by hand or use an electric beater.
- Separate the eggs. Fold in the flour and add the egg yolks one at a time. Stiffly beat the egg whites and fold into the cake mixture. Divide the mixture evenly between the sandwich tins. Bake for 20 – 30 minutes or until firm to the touch. Turn onto a wire tray to cool.
To make syrup
- Put the sugar and water into the saucepan and stir over a low heat until the sugar dissolves. Then boil briskly for five minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool. When syrup is cool, stir in the kirsch.
To assemble cake
- Pour syrup over the three cakes. Reserve 12 black cherries and some of the whipped cream for decoration on the top of the cake. Gently sandwich each cake together with the remainder of the whipped cream which has been sweetened with icing sugar and black cherries. Decorate top of cake with the grated chocolate or curls. Pipe cream around edge and place cherries on top.