175g/6oz Odlums Cream Plain Flour
75g/3oz Plain Chocolate (min. 70 % cocoa solids)
175g/6oz Shamrock Golden Caster Sugar
3 Large Eggs
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
100g packet Shamrock Ground Almonds
2 tablespoons Cocoa (sieved)
2 tablespoons Milk
1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
For Chocolate Cream
142ml carton Cream
175/6oz Plain Chocolate (min. 70% cocoa solids)
- Preheat oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas 5. Lightly grease and base line a 23cms/9″ deep sandwich tin.
- Break the chocolate into a heatproof bowl. Add 25g/1oz of the butter and stand bowl over a pan of hot water until chocolate has melted.
- Meanwhile put the remaining butter, caster sugar, eggs, flour, baking powder, ground almonds, cocoa, milk and essence into a large bowl and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Add the melted chocolate and gently stir into the mixture. Transfer to the prepared tin and level the top.
- Bake for about 40 minutes until risen and the surface feels firm to the touch. Remove from oven. Allow to sit in tin for about 5 minutes, then, transfer to a wire tray to cool.
- Make the chocolate cream by heating the cream until just bubbling around the edges. Add the chocolate and gently stir over a low heat until melted. Remove from heat.
- Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool and begins to set.
- Slice cake horizontally and use half the icing to sandwich the cake.
- Spread remaining icing on top and sides of cake.
- Serve with raspberries, cream or crème fraiche.
Do not cool icing in fridge, it will loose its shine!
Mixture may be divided between 2 heart shaped tins or sandwich tins to make a layer cake!
Cake can be made a few days in advance and wrapped in greaseproof paper,
then iced just before serving!