Ingredients350g/12oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
1 level Teaspoon Baking Powder
Pinch of Salt
Pinch Black Pepper
1 level Teaspoon Mustard Powder
75g/3oz Margarine (room temperature)
125g/4oz Grated Cheddar Cheese
150ml/¼ pt. Milk
Grated Parmesan for dusting on top (optional)
- Preheat oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas 5. Lightly grease the base and sides of 900g/2lb loaf tin.
- Put the flour, baking powder, salt, pepper and mustard powder into a mixing bowl.
- Rub the margarine into dry ingredients with tips of fingers, until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Mix in the cheese.
- Beat the egg and milk together and add to the bowl. Mix to a dough.
- Transfer to prepared tin and press out evenly, make a cut down the centre with a knife. Dust with parmesan if used. Bake for 40 minutes approx until risen and nicely browned.
- Remove from oven, leave in tin for 5 minutes before turning onto a wire tray to cool.