350g/12oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
300g/11oz Caster Sugar
3 heaped tablespoons Cocoa (sieved)
Good pinch of Bread Soda
225ml/8fl oz Cola
125ml/4fl oz Milk
2 Eggs (beaten)
1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
2 tablespoons Cola
1 1/2 heaped tablespoons Cocoa (sieved)
200g/9oz Icing Sugar
- Sieve flour, sugar, cocoa and bread soda into a bowl.
- Slowly melt butter in saucepan with the cola.
- In a jug, lightly beat together milk, eggs and vanilla.
- Add the cola and milk mixtures to the dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly but gently.
- Pour into a greased 24cm/9-10 inch loose base cake tin.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C/350°F/Gas 4 for 1 hour approx.
- Place tin on a wire tray to cool for about 20 minutes.
- Put butter, cola and sieved cocoa into a saucepan and slowly melt the butter.
- Bring to the boil, then add in sieved icing sugar.
- Beat until smooth, then pour over cake while still warm.
- Allow to cool completely in the tin.
- When icing is cold, gently remove from tin.