Ingredients:275g/10oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
Pinch of Bread Soda
275g/10oz Caster Sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
300ml / 2/3 pt Cold Water
175g/6oz Icing Sugar (sieved)
3 tablespoons Cocoa (sieved)
2 tablespoons Warm Water
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Lightly grease and base line 2 x 7/8″/18/20cms sandwich tins.
- Sieve the flour, cocoa and bread soda into a bowl. In a separate large bowl beat the sugar, eggs and vanilla essence. Next beat in the mayonnaise.
- Finally, alternately, beat the flour mixture and water into the mayo mixture, starting with flour mixture and finishing with flour mixture!
- Divide between the two prepared tins and bake for about 40 minutes until firm to the touch and well risen.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit in tins for about 5 minutes, then, transfer to a wire tray to cool.
- Meanwhile, beat the ingredients for filling together. When cake is cold use to sandwich the two halves together.
- Dust with icing sugar on top