350g/12oz Odlums Cream Plain Flour
1 Teaspoon Bread Soda (sieved)
Rind of 1 Lemon
200ml Carton Sour Cream
1 Egg (separated)
2 Tablespoons Cold Water
1 Tablespoon Sugar (for topping)
125g/4oz Icing Sugar
25g/1oz Butter (melted)
2 to 4 Tablespoon Orange Juice
- Preheat oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas 5. Lightly dust a flat baking tray with flour.
- Put flour, bread soda, sugar and lemon rind into a large mix, add the butter and coarsely rub in using fingertips until mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs.
- Combine the sour cream, egg yolk and water together and add to the dry ingredients. Mix to a stiff dough. Mixture will be quite dry!
- Transfer to floured board and bring together by gently kneading.
- Press dough onto prepared tin in a rectangle shape about 1” in thickness. Cut into small squares.
- Lightly beat the egg white and brush over dough, sprinkle with the sugar. Bake for about 20 minutes until risen and browned. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the glaze ingredients together, adding enough orange juice for the required consistency.
- Drizzle over the warm scones. Serve immediately.